We love us some Opera. We’ve been advocating the Opera 10 web browser since the first alpha version was released last December. We even wrote about it in March. We’ve been faithfully using it through the beta releases and release candidates. The final version was recently released and it’s stellar.
Today, we were routing out a fairly pernicious installation of – what else – Adobe Flash on one of our Windows 7 test machines and decided to reinstall Opera 10. After removing and reinstalling, we were presented with the following error message.
Error initializing Opera: module 9
We tried several times to clean out whatever remnants of previous installations might be causing problems, as well as a fair amount of Googling to find resolutions to the problem but our efforts were to no avail. We finally found a post on the My Opera community forums where user markcs pointed us in the right direction.
The solution lies in the operaprefs_default.ini file that can be found in your installation directory. Ours is located at
c:Program Files (x86)Operaoperaprefs_default.ini
After our fresh installation, the file contained the following lines.
[User Prefs] Language File=C:Program Files (x86)Operalocale\.lng
The language file needs to be specified. Adding ‘en’ in two places in the line fixes the problem like so.
[User Prefs] Language File=C:Program Files (x86)Operalocaleenen.lng
Hopefully this patch works for you if you experience the Opera 10 module 9 error on Windows 7. Remember, this is apparently a rare issue with the Windows version of an otherwise trouble-free, lightning-fast, feature-complete browser that you should take for a spin if you haven’t already.